UFC Pool
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predict Fights for Points

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Johnny
Admin

BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! Empty
PostSubject: BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!   BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Edgar got the confirmation for a title fight instead of Maynard. It's a interesting matchup but I'm more and more convinced that nobody can take on Penn. Penn's also taller and got a better reach advantage but Edgar is more a pure lightweight fighter which can pose as a better fighter than the likes of Sanchez or Florian who I think are more suited for welterweight. What you guys think?
Back to top Go down
https://ufcpool.forumotion.com
Randy

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!   BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 4:01 am

Hopefully i dont sound too biased...but Edgar doesn't really do anything better than BJ. Maybe he has better offensive wrestling...but he won't be able to take BJ down. I don't see Edgar doing anything to BJ standing.

I want to see Penn vs. Aoki (from Japan). The only reason I want to see that fight is because Aoki always talks trash about the UFC. And Aoki recently broke a fighter's arm, flipped him off, then flipped off the fans!?!?

Here's that fight, but don't watch it if you're squeamish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avCsi0uzJW8
Back to top Go down
briantsui

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!   BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 4:59 pm

ok just to be clear, I don't think Edgar can beat BJ. But here's why i think it'll be exciting. Frankie has some great boxing. I was really impressed with his unanimous decision win over sean Sherk. He's quick on his feat. So I hope he can avoid BJ's striking.

I hope BJ takes the fight to the ground so we can see some of his submission game.
Back to top Go down
Johnny
Admin

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!   BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:21 pm

No doubt Edgar isn't in the same league. Dude.... that Aoki arm breakage was brutal. I wonder what the beef was between the fighters that you'd flip somebody off like that. I don't know much about him, is he a douchey fighter?
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!   BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:24 pm

I think Edgar is no doubt a good fighter and seems like a really nice guy...he probably won't talk a lot of trash...but he seems really small for 155. I think it'll be a fun fight to watch because it'll most likely be all stand up...Edgar has good footwork but he doesn't have BJ's power, hand speed or head movement.

Aoki is a pretty classless dude...a friend told me he also broke another guys arm with some strange standing submission w/out giving the opponent a chance to tap. He calls out the UFC a lot and believes japanese mma is better than the US...which is asinine. I think he's going to fight in strikeforce soon because they have a co-promotion deal w/ Japan's Dream.
Back to top Go down
Johnny
Admin

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!   BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:29 pm

I think Edgar will surprise some people like he did with most of his matches. I'm looking forward to the standup between the two but I'd also like to see BJ on the ground some more even though it's pretty impossible to take him down.

Dude, I'd like to see Aoki back up his smack talk and his douchey persona and fight in the UFC to shut his mouth.

UFC just signed Takanori Gomi earlier this month. I hear he's pretty impressive in Japan, think he'll make a good impact in the lightweight?
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!   BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 11:57 pm

Gomi was recognized as the best pound 4 pound fighter in the world for years until he lost to Joachim Hansen and BJ Penn back to back. Then he went on another winning streak and a lot of people put him back on top of the p4p list, but he lost to Nick Diaz....then Diaz's blood test came back and tested positive for marijuana and it was turned into a No Contest. Since then, he's lost to some lesser opponents and hasn't gotten the same type of hype. I feel like a lot of Japanese fighters go on insane winning streaks and get overhyped...but they're fighting less talented opponents. Guys like Aoki...who's universally ranked as #2 LW....IMO would not only get worked by BJ, but would lose to Florian, Maynard, Edgar, and probably Sherk and Tyson Griffin.
Back to top Go down
Johnny
Admin

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!   BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Wow, even losing to Sherk....
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!   BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 am

I can definitely be wrong about Aoki losing to all those ufc guys, but he is very 1 dimensional. Amazing bjj and terrible at everything else. Against someone like Sherk, I can see Sherk winning a decision via 3 rounds of boxing. Sherk is an okay striker but Aoki is terrible...and he wouldn't be able to take down the much better wrestler. There's a LW in Japan name Eddie Alvarez that's supposed to be really good...I've never seen him fight but everyone says he's UFC caliber.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!   BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed! Empty

Back to top Go down

BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar confirmed!
Page 1 of 1